Image Map

Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Peek at Last Week

Summer has come and gone. Where did the time go? School started for us on August 7th. It's a new year at Taylors Creek and new year down 2nd grade hall. We are team teaching this year. I teach Reading, Writing, and Language and my lovely teacher BFF Corbitt teaches Math, Science, and Social Studies. Yes, our little ones are switching classes this year. We are excited and so are our 2nd graders.

My first few days with my students were great. One little girl on the first day of school made my day by bringing me a nice shiny apple. My fifth year of teaching and I have never received a real apple. How precious!

 
 
This week in this classroom we practiced rules and procedures. (How to line up, where to turn in homework folders, how we get home, and much more.)
 


My favorite thing I've started this year is whole brain teaching rules with the kiddos. It keeps them engaged and "Keeps the Dear Teacher Happy!" Here is a look at our scoreboard. Let's just say I have a terrific group of students.

 
 

Also, something else new for this year in my room is that I earned a class set of iPads. I am beyond excited...and so are my students!! We are learning new something everyday. I believe we have mastered how to login and out of Edmodo for assignments and how to journal in iDiary.


 
 
As we learned the rules and procedures, we also did some school work. We reviewed nouns in the classroom. The students took their iPads and took pictures. They had to take pictures of a person in the room, place in the room, and a thing in the room. Next, it was time for journals. They used iDiary on the iPads and gave the definition of a noun, listed some nouns, and illustrated a noun.
 
 
 
This week, we also started our Common Core unit on Fudge-a-Mania. We read the first 2 chapters of Fudge-a-Mania. Through the giggles and laughs, I would say we are loving this book. After reading 2 chapters, we did our journal prompt. Each student chose a character from the book. They had to describe the character and illustrate it. They did a beautiful job!
 
 
 
 
As we did our journals, they had to make sure they had a 4 star paper. I made a wall in my classroom just for writing. It a great reference for the students to look at when they are writing. They know exactly what I am looking for when it comes to writing.
 
 
 
All in all, it was a great first few days of school. Each student has come in with an eagerness to learn and each day I plan to match that eagerness. That's a peek at last week! Enjoy!
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...